Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Geopolitics

The U.S. economy, since the great depression, has been completely dependant on war to survive. We have seen WW2, Viet Nam, Korea, the war on drugs, the war on terror, and now the Iraqi war. I believe this serves a duel purpose. The first is the desire to keep Americans scared and let them know that their government is their to protect them. That's the main reason Bush was even elected. The other reason is for economic growth. $300 million dollars a day goes to war production efforts. Imagine what our GDP would be without that.

Now, it's ironic that the financial cost of war is what will push our economy over the edge. But, let's look at the news and politics of today. We gave N. Korea a 90 day deadline to cooperate. Iran has continued to be non-negotiable in regards to its nuclear problem. I can't say all is fine, but the war in Iraq is slowly fading out of the news. It has lost most support. If I were a gambling man, I would bet on a preemptive strike on Iran from Israel.

Anyways, what I really wanted to get at, is that now that many folks, myself included have all but rid their portfolios of oil, it might be a good time to get back in. I realize this post is rather vague and not based on anything of great significance. I got a gut feeling. I'm nervous as the tensions in the middle-east continues to be nasty at best.

No comments: